Wednesday, July 18, 2012

July 18. Plate

Too much on my plate. A glass half empty. A glass half full. A full house. A house of cards. Card! I need to buy a card. A card for my daughter. My beautiful, beautiful daughter. Never visits, never calls. I should call her. Where's the phone? 
"Vicki? It's Mum."
"Hi, Mum, how are you?"
"Wonderful, darling. I've been cleaning the house and I've just put the music on and am having a bit of a dance. I was thinking about you and thought I'd call. Do you like to dance?"
"Ah...sometimes Mum. Are you okay?"
"Never better, as good as it gets. I feel fantastic. Better than I've ever been."
"Have you been taking your medication?"
"Haven't you been listening? I'm feeling great, Vicki. Great. I don't need it any more."
"Oh, Mum, I think you need to still take your medication. You should probably see your doctor."
"Can't you just be happy for me? Why do you have to be so negative all the time? I just rang because I wanted to speak to you and see how you were going. Can't I even do that anymore?"
"Of course you can, Mum. We're all fine. Just busy, you know how it is. Jimmy got school captain yesterday."
"You're always so busy. You should just relax. Relax, relax, relax." I know a song, "Take it eeeeeeasy, take it eeeeeasy, don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you craaaaaazy..."
"Mum, I have to go."
"Oh, do you?"
"But I'll see you on Saturday as usual?"
"Alright, then." Always visiting, always cleaning. Won't need to this time. I've done some spring cleaning. Spring! Spring in my step. A step back in time. Time for tea. Hmmm, tea. I might make a cuppa. She walks into her bedroom and starts pulling out clothes from the wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment